When I first decided to write this blog it was only to relay all the delicious foods and recipes that I have tasted and tried. I will include the errors and inventions of all my recipes along with their original owners as not to offend or steal anything that isn't mine.

I have to change this blog a bit. Although I love food that's not my whole life. The funniest stories come from my job so I seriously feel I need to include these so people can enjoy all the crazies that are out there. Now that I have a new IPAD, thanks Dad, I have much more opportunity to write about, well, everything. So please ignore those entries that are not for you.

Saturday, January 2, 2010

The Beginning of Ray Craves

Like so many people I LOVE food; especially sushi. This is extremely odd because growing up I had a peanut butter and honey sandwich everyday for lunch, refused to try anything new and ate honey on EVERYTHING (it was my sauce, obviously to cover any bad taste). The first time I ever ate raw ahi tuna was at Roys, a hawiian food restaurant I first found in Austin Tx. The Poketini; they do not carry this at every Roys but if they do try it. Devine! This began my love of raw fish...sushi and my new found bravery to try most anything. So I start my first post with not Roys alothough I could but the night I decided I wanted to blog.

Monday December 28th, 2009
Dinner with My Husband and Mother in Law (her last night in Atlanta before returning to Austin)
Twist Restaurant and Tapas Bar; Phipps Plaza 404-869-1191
If you love to eat....whats not to love about a tapas bar; so many foods, so little time!
I didn't even know they served sushi, was I in for a surprise. My funding is limited so a few things at a time. 3 items truly stood out (although I of course tasted off of both my husbands pork chops and mac and cheese and my Mother in laws tapas dishes)
Fried Italian Artichokes with Chipotle Aioli...so tender they melt in your mouth, with a hint of spiciness from the aioli; even if you think you don't like artichokes try this one...it won't disappoint.
Shrimp Dumplings with Thai Curry Cream...the dumplings are superbly made, the perfect consistency and as you will soon learn another fabulous sauce(I love sauce). Although if your stomach doesn't agree with hot and spicy i don't recommend this, if you tolerate a some heat delicious. The Thai know how to do curry and spice and everythings nice.
Shiro Maguro Roll...I substituted fried lobster tail for the shrimp tempura; origianlly shrimp tempura, white tuna, avocado, cucumber, sweet chili yuzu, spicy mayo. I think this speaks for itself; but add a little fresh ginger and wasabi and you have a rainbow of flavors that melt in your mouth and is nothing if not heavenly!

2 comments:

  1. I think this is great! You should tell why you have that gorgeous cake picture there and how when you were in high and middle school you copied the cakes on the cover of Southern Living.

    Good writing.

    Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was interesting reading your opinion about the Twist Restaurant. Is it expensive or can you go there on a budget? It was surprising to me to hear they had pork chops at a Tapas restaurant since I thought those styles were more appetizer oriented. If you are ever in the Baltimore area I am interested in finding a restaurant with good soft shell crabs. Also, do you know of a place you would reccomend in Amsterdam?

    ReplyDelete